Laura Thalacker’s practice is devoted to the representation of employers in human resources and employment law matters. With over 20 years’ experience advising employers throughout Nevada, the U.S., and worldwide, Laura assists businesses of all sizes in navigating the unique challenges faced by employers under a myriad of federal, state and local laws impacting the employment relationship. Clients appreciate Laura’s plain-spoken, down-to-earth style, which enables her to connect with clients on a personal level and to explain complex legal issues in understandable terms.
As a certified Senior Professional in Human Resources, Laura is uniquely qualified to provide practical and strategic human resources counseling, as well as traditional legal advice. Laura works proactively with clients to foster positive work environments, identify and implement best practices, maintain legal compliance, and prevent costly employment litigation. In a 24/7 city like Las Vegas, employment issues can arise at any time. Laura prides herself on her accessibility and her willingness to work with clients to quickly address and resolve issues as they arise.
Hartwell Thalacker, Ltd.’s management-side services include:
- Providing advice to employers on a wide range of human resources issues including such matters as discipline, termination, wage and hour compliance, drug and alcohol testing, employee privacy, non-discrimination, employee disabilities and leaves of absence
- Advising employers on background investigations and pre-employment screening
- Conducting workplace investigations into employee misconduct
- Assisting in planning and implementing reductions in force
- Providing training for executives, managers and employees (including harassment prevention and social media)
- Drafting employee handbooks and policies
- Drafting employment contracts and arbitration agreements
- Advising employers on the protection of trade secrets and confidential information, and drafting non-disclosure and non-competition agreements
- Drafting and negotiating severance agreements
- Providing advice on employment and labor law issues in mergers and acquisitions